The Presbytery of Newark is the successor of the Presbytery of East Jersey which was organized in 1733 by the Synod of Philadelphia. In 1738 the Presbyteries of East Jersey and Long Island were combined to form the Presbytery of Long Island. In 1808 the Presbytery of New York was divided with the churches in New Jersey becoming the Presbytery of Jersey. In 1824 the Synod of New Jersey divided the Presbytery of Jersey into the Presbytery of Newark and the Presbytery of Elizabeth Town. The organization of the Presbytery of Newark took place on November 2, 1824.
At the time of the reunion of the Old School and the New School, the first General Assembly of the reunited Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. meeting in Philadelphia in May 1870 constituted the new Synod of New Jersey. On June 22, 1870 the synod established the Presbytery of Newark to comprise the city of Newark with the townships of Woodside, Belleville, Bloomfield, Montclair, Clinton and Caldwell.
The new Presbytery of Newark held its first meeting in Old First Presbyterian Church of Newark on June 30, 1870.
The Synod of New Jersey also on June 22, 1870 established the Presbytery of Morris and Orange to comprise the County of Morris with the townships of Millburn, Livingston, South Orange, East Orange, and West Orange in the County of Essex and to be the legal successor to the Presbyteries of Rockaway and Passaic. The Presbytery of Morris and Orange held its first meeting in the First Presbyterian Church of Orange on July 6, 1870.
The Presbytery of Morris and Orange was dissolved on June 1, 1964 with the eighteen churches within Essex County becoming a part of the Presbytery of Newark and the remaining churches uniting with the Presbyteries of Newton and Elizabeth. The expanded Presbytery of Newark held its first meeting at the Old First Presbyterian Church in Newark on June 7, 1964.
The Presbytery of Newark constitutes the bond of union among its constituent churches and minister members, exercising responsibilities towards these as defined by the Book of Order of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). This bond of union manifests pastoral concern for the churches, ministers and ministries under its care and jurisdiction, and exercises oversight over these churches, ministers, and ministries.
The Presbytery of Newark is subject to the government and discipline of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) under the jurisdiction of the Synod of the Northeast.
The geographical boundaries of the Presbytery of Newark is made up of the entire area of Essex County and parts of Bergen and Hudson Counties that contain the municipalities of Belleville, Bloomfield, Caldwell, Cedar Grove, East Orange, Essex Fells, Fairfield, Glen Ridge, Irvington, Kearny, Livingston, Maplewood, Millburn, Montclair, Newark, North Arlington, North Caldwell, Nutley, Orange, Roseland, South Orange, Upper Montclair, Verona, West Caldwell, West Orange.